An important announcement from the founder of property-bee.com: The future of Property Bee is assured.

renting strategy

Anything and everything to do with property prices, from news reports and press releases to your comment and theories.

renting strategy

Postby pboyles on Wed Dec 03, 2008 1:02 pm

I'm looking to rent in Hertfordshire and have noticed prices starting to fall. I'm trying to figure out the best strategy for approaching agents or landlords. I've noticed that some rental properties are also for sale and I'm guessing people are stuck with them and are desperately trying to raise some money from them.

Given that the situation is forecast to get worse (or at least no better) in 2009 I was thinking about doing one of the following.

1. Offer to pay some months up front.
2.Offer to sign a longer lease.

Obviously the intention is to get the property at a cheaper rental price. Does anyone have direct experience of trying this recently? Which of the two options would be most attactive to a landlord who is stuck with a property in the current market? I suppose the other option is to sign a short lease and hope prices fall more in 6 months.

Peter
pboyles

Re: renting strategy

Postby Eddie001 on Tue Dec 09, 2008 9:31 am

In north oxfordshire the property market is sliding badly. April this year the average price was 725, those same houses, remaining empty all this time, are now being marketed for 650 or less.

My advice would be to make them a monthly offer about 25 quid less than they are asking. Don't offer any money up front. Don't forget, if you are going through an estate or letting agent they like to justify their fees by acting as the middle man, so they will be okay (not happy) to do the offering for you.

If the offer is turned down, walk away, come back a month later, ask again!

You won't make many friends, but this is business after all and any money you can save yourself can go towards paying the unlawful amounts estate agents charge!
Eddie001

Postby drpmulay on Sat Jan 31, 2009 10:07 am

Good pointers Eddie001. Put an offer at what you think is a fair valuation. 1 bed flat with no parking, is not worth 700 £ no matter where you live.
drpmulay

Postby jummy125 on Tue Jul 24, 2012 6:14 am

I am student in Leeds university and am looking for a rental apartment anybody can help me
jummy125

Postby jummy4242 on Tue Jul 24, 2012 6:15 am

I am student in Leeds university and am looking for a rental apartment anybody can help me
jummy4242

Return to Property Prices