An important announcement from the founder of property-bee.com: The future of Property Bee is assured.

property-bee.sqlite sharing

Anything and everything to do with property prices, from news reports and press releases to your comment and theories.

property-bee.sqlite sharing

Postby msparks on Thu Jul 30, 2009 5:13 am

If I set up a place for people to upload their property-bee.sqlite databases, would people upload to it so I can pool one big database for us to run analysis on?
Thinking I might make an independent rightmove house price index that takes into account the price of all properties (as seen by PB) and tries to do a better job of mix adjusting.
Any takers?
msparks

Re: property-bee.sqlite sharing

Postby deeplyblue on Thu Aug 06, 2009 1:02 am

I'm going to be a real party-pooper here.

I honestly think that the reason why the RM figures are frequently unsatisfactory is not because there's a conspiracy, or even a ramping tendency, but because they simply manipulate the data which is easy to verify.

I don't think anyone can do a good job on the RM figures until someone (and this might mean one of the bright people here) figures out a way to track properties that are re-listed. Even finding a re-listing by the same agent would be a help, but tracking a property across agents would be a great help to the whole house-buying community.

That said, I'm not in a great position to comment on the technicalities - I'm just about post a set of real newbie queries here!
deeplyblue

Postby msparks on Thu Sep 24, 2009 5:12 pm

I wasn't really thinking along the lines of conspiracy theory.
Just that as an index RMs report is _bleep_, there's so much more useful analysis that could be done and isn't included in RMs index. just an addition of Standard Deviation and inter quartile ranges would do wonders.
msparks

Postby needle on Sat Oct 24, 2009 4:26 pm

msparks,

I'm up for it; but I've got a whole load of Daft.ie as well as RM data.

Sorting the data will be a problem in itself.
As mentioned above, relisted properties are also in my db so any claims to definitive analysis will be a bit off.

PM or post here if youre still up for it.
needle
Beta Tester

Return to Property Prices