An important announcement from the founder of property-bee.com: The future of Property Bee is assured.

2.0.13.0 development thread

An area to discuss the development and technical aspects of the toolbar

2.0.13.0 development thread

Postby Beerhunter on Wed Nov 09, 2011 10:55 am

I've started work on 2.0.13.0 (no scheduled release date, its going to ship when all the following are complete)

Completed
#155 Newly viewed properties are added to the current sidebar list, irrespective of whether or not they belong to that list
#156 Running toolbar with 2 open sidebars (in different windows) can lead to question marks being display in one sidebar
#195 Could not display the selected property / TypeError: property is undefined
#207 Cannot register with usernames containing dots
#208 PB.Rule.AllNodesMatchingXPath could be more robust

Not started
#205 RightMove.co.uk Overseas Property doesn't work any more
#206 New ESPC site

Requiring more information
#193 "Unable to signal slot imp_shutdown([object Event]) / TypeError: _propertyBeeService is null" error

Things I might fix if there is time
#130 Add a number of days since last change
#131 Only display server error messages once

If anyone fancies having a go at #205 or #206, that should give me sometime to look at #130 and #131 ;)

Also if anyone regularly gets the error "Unable to signal slot imp_shutdown([object Event]) / TypeError: _propertyBeeService is null" can you let me know please? I can't reproduce the error, but believe it happens when firefox is closed and there might be another error reported before this one?
Beerhunter
Site Admin

Re: 2.0.13.0 development thread

Postby s-p on Thu Nov 10, 2011 7:38 pm

I'll try and pick up #205 and #206, assuming you don't need them completing in the next day or so! ;)
Scott
s-p

Postby Beerhunter on Sun Nov 13, 2011 8:48 pm

Thanks Scott, that would be great. No urgent timescales... tho the peeps using ESPC would probably disagree ;)

BTW if you update to the latest revision, I've commited 2 more updates;

#209 Update add-on to officially support Firefox 8

#210 You'll find a new item in the style menu :D Its a bit experimental at the moment but appears to work quite well (there might be some minor issues with non rightmove sites due to missing basedata / occasional error pop up / needs a bit of cosmetic work). It should be quite obvious what it does... so I'll leave you to try it out and see what you think :ugeek:
Beerhunter
Site Admin

Postby Beerhunter on Tue Nov 15, 2011 10:51 pm

I've implemented "#130 Add a number of days since last change" but not committed it yet... as undecided on some of the requirements/implementation

* number of days since last change of what? Any field... price, status, agents' address etc... or a combination there of. I've guessing since the price changed might be most useful?

* having a working version I'm not sure "number of days" since ... feels right, personally I think the date the price (for example) last changed is clearer (also should we use ISO formating of YYYY-MM-DD I'm not sure?)

* some concern that there's too many columns in the sidebar already, and whether we need to simplify the display.... esp as its getting quite wide now.

* if we do go with this new column in the sidebar, it will be a 2 stage delivery.... 1st release will only calculate the new column not display it, 2nd release will add the ability to display the information (this is because if we try an calculate stuff on the fly the sidebar becomes very slow to scrolll, so the approach is calculate as much as possible when the properties details get updated then its just a simple query to populate the sidebar)

Lots of questions... and few answers, maybe it will become clearer to me over the next few days... meantime I'm not going to commit the changes just yet.
Beerhunter
Site Admin

Postby Beerhunter on Mon Nov 21, 2011 7:31 pm

Beerhunter wrote:I've implemented "#130 Add a number of days since last change" but not committed it yet... as undecided on some of the requirements/implementation

* number of days since last change of what? Any field... price, status, agents' address etc... or a combination there of. I've guessing since the price changed might be most useful?

* having a working version I'm not sure "number of days" since ... feels right, personally I think the date the price (for example) last changed is clearer (also should we use ISO formating of YYYY-MM-DD I'm not sure?)

* some concern that there's too many columns in the sidebar already, and whether we need to simplify the display.... esp as its getting quite wide now.

* if we do go with this new column in the sidebar, it will be a 2 stage delivery.... 1st release will only calculate the new column not display it, 2nd release will add the ability to display the information (this is because if we try an calculate stuff on the fly the sidebar becomes very slow to scrolll, so the approach is calculate as much as possible when the properties details get updated then its just a simple query to populate the sidebar)

Lots of questions... and few answers, maybe it will become clearer to me over the next few days... meantime I'm not going to commit the changes just yet.

In the end I reverted the changes, as the feature didn't feel right.... added more complexity to the sidebar (both from dev and user perspectives) and don't think it adds much value
Beerhunter
Site Admin

Postby Beerhunter on Mon Nov 21, 2011 8:05 pm

I've committed a fix for "#131 Only display server error messages once" ... actually it works for any error message (not just messages from the server), by default the error is only shown once and only persists until Firefox is restarted.

Stuff left
#130 Add a number of days since last change (implemented this, then backed it out as adds to much width to sidebar, and probably makes it information overload for the users!)
#193 "Unable to signal slot imp_shutdown([object Event]) / TypeError: _propertyBeeService is null" error (no feedback from anyone on how to reproduce the error, so not much I can do)
#205 RightMove.co.uk Overseas Property doesn't work any more (s-p?)
#206 New ESPC site (s-p?)

Scott how are you getting on, need a hand? If so let me know which one you haven't started and I'll pick that up... else if your close to finishing, I'm sure I can find stuff for me to get on with in the meantime :shock:
Beerhunter
Site Admin

Postby Beerhunter on Tue Nov 22, 2011 7:58 pm

Seems daft have changed their site.... raised (and assign to me) #211: Property bee has stopped woking with Daft.ie

Also had a day off today, so managed to find time to do resurrect some of my experimental code, and get it into sourceforge (#212);

canvas.png
canvas.png (18.27 KiB) Viewed 11182 times

:ugeek:

Above is am image generated by the toolbar, of price verses time for a property I was looking at on rightmove. Its shown embedded in the webpage like the history and suspect people might find it easier that reading the changes... it can also be saved to disk like any other website image and posted to forums (as I have done here).

BTW solid line means available, dotted line means STC/Sold/Not listed and the dots are where the toolbar has recorded changes in price/status.
Beerhunter
Site Admin

Postby Beerhunter on Tue Nov 22, 2011 8:24 pm

I've just added a copy of XPather 1.4.5 by Viktor Zigo http://xpath.alephzarro.com/ (which appears to have been abandoned by the developer and no longer supported) to https://property-bee.svn.sourceforge.ne ... -bee/utils as its useful for working out the xpaths for the property bee rules.

Only change is updating the maxVersion to 9.* and appears to work with FF8 correctly.

To use, create a text file called "{636fd8b0-ce2b-4e00-b812-2afbe77ee899}" in your Firefox profile extensions directory, and add one line to it which contains the full path to ..../utils/xpather directory, then restart Firefox.
Beerhunter
Site Admin

Postby Beerhunter on Sat Nov 26, 2011 8:11 pm

Very quick update as I'm off out in a sec...

I've commited changes for the following;
#205 RightMove.co.uk Overseas Property doesn't work any more
#206 New ESPC site
#211 Property bee has stopped woking with Daft.ie

Bewared I've only done the most basic of testing for these!
Beerhunter
Site Admin

Postby Beerhunter on Sun Nov 27, 2011 1:17 pm

If anyone has some time to kill, Release Candidate 1 is available to download.

Enhancements and fixes included are;
#131: Only display server error messages once
#155: Newly viewed properties are added to the current sidebar list, irrespective of whether or not they belong to that list
#156: Running toolbar with 2 open sidebars (in different windows) can lead to question marks being display in one sidebar
#195: Could not display the selected property / TypeError: property is undefined
#205: RightMove.co.uk Overseas Property doesn't work any more.
#206: New ESPC site
#207: Cannot register with usernames containing dots
#208: PB.Rule.AllNodesMatchingXPath could be more robust
#209: Update add-on to officially support Firefox 8
#210: Related properties feature
#211: Property bee has stopped working with Daft.ie
#212: Display price v time as a graph feature

Known issues (to be fixed in the next release?);
#215: History not shown on espc.com when a search is refined.
#214: Daft.ie property references are not unique.
Beerhunter
Site Admin

Postby Beerhunter on Sun Nov 27, 2011 9:24 pm

I see a couple of people have downloaded it... any feedback (good or bad) is appreciated as I'm thinking about pushing a release out this Tuesday or Friday...

I should add, under the style menu there are 2 new optons;

"Price Graph" displays am image showing price verses time for the property instead of the history, the idea being that its easier to interpret than text. Apart from the obvious (y-axis is price, x-axis is time) the line style indicates whether the property is available (solid line), sold/stc (dashed line) or not listed (dotted line)

"Related Properties" is somewhat experiemental, and adds links to properties with similar listings. It uses a weighted mix of the properties location, and what prices, titles, subtitles, agents and their addresses the listing has contained. Its probably not too accurate yet, as this feature also looks at the photos of the property (which until now the toolbar hasn't done) but over time (and from my testing) it should perform well once people have been using it for awhile to collect the info on the photos.

If you want to try it out the related properties, sort your sidebar by postcode and select a postcode with a number of listings. Click on each property in turn, so it gets the image data, then return to the first property and you should see links to other similar properties....
Beerhunter
Site Admin

Postby rneeve on Mon Nov 28, 2011 12:05 pm

Hi,

I thought I'd give it a go seeing as I'm a software tester by trade (although a test manager in recent years) and I'm out of contract right now. Infact I would be happy to be one of the official beta testers if that's allowed?

Anyway I've only had a quick look so far but will do some more after lunch. Up until now I've only been looking at the new styling aspects.

My initial thoughts are:

) The related property(ies) info would ideally be provided alongside the standard change history table - not instead of it.

2) PB has lasted almost 4 years without legal action and I know you've given careful thought to ensure that's the case but I think it would be better/safer to make it clear that the 'related properties' info is coming from PB and not the underlying listings site itself - it's not quite as obvious (imo) as it is with the normal change history table

3) The graphs look great and comparing different graphs for duplicate listings is useful for getting an idea of things like when the various agents were engaged and how proactive they've been in editing the listing etc. But I'm wondering whether the 'related properties' feature is really neeeded? Whenever I've looked on Rightmove (which to be fair is the only site I use and others like daft.ie may be different) properties that are multi-agent virtually always appear consecutively on the list so it's really easy to see anyway. I guess it depends on the definition of "related" and how you see the feature being used.

4) Given my comments above I would say this is the time to think about resurrecting the idea of using tabs to compartmentalise the PB output as you alluded to in this old thread:

viewtopic.php?f=15&t=771&hilit=tabs&start=45

Just my 2p's worth

Richard
rneeve

Postby Beerhunter on Mon Nov 28, 2011 8:47 pm

rneeve wrote:Hi,

I thought I'd give it a go seeing as I'm a software tester by trade (although a test manager in recent years) and I'm out of contract right now. Infact I would be happy to be one of the official beta testers if that's allowed?

Anyway I've only had a quick look so far but will do some more after lunch. Up until now I've only been looking at the new styling aspects.

Hello,

We seem to have sort of moved away from having official testers as such, so the best thing to do is keep an eye on this forum as I'll occasionally post Release Candidates here for feedback/confidence before its released to the masses....

rneeve wrote:My initial thoughts are:

1) The related property(ies) info would ideally be provided alongside the standard change history table - not instead of it.

I kind of agree as its a pain to swap between different styles in this version so considered putting related properties below the history, however I've also had comments that the change history can get too long and requires a lot of scrolling! So the plan is this release is a "stepping stone" to the introdction of a tabbed control (eg tabs for History, Price Graph, Related Properties etc) so that its easier to swap between different views/features

rneeve wrote:2) PB has lasted almost 4 years without legal action and I know you've given careful thought to ensure that's the case but I think it would be better/safer to make it clear that the 'related properties' info is coming from PB and not the underlying listings site itself - it's not quite as obvious (imo) as it is with the normal change history table

I'm one step ahead of you, and thought the same thing last night :D

I've re-skinned PB to look like this;

history.PNG
history.PNG (45.94 KiB) Viewed 10893 times

if there's a lot of history (like in this case) the history becomes scrollable instead of filling the webpage.

graph.png
graph.png (47.75 KiB) Viewed 10893 times

At the moment the graph is a fixed size, next version I'd like to get it to "fit" the page its in (low priority)

related.PNG
related.PNG (34.72 KiB) Viewed 10893 times

Having the same background as the history and graph, I think makes it clearer that its PB thats doing this and not the site.

One thing I'm not sure of is whether to put a title "Property Bee" into the webpage (at the moment there's only a tooltip saying "genearted by..." when you move your mouse over it)

rneeve wrote:3) The graphs look great and comparing different graphs for duplicate listings is useful for getting an idea of things like when the various agents were engaged and how proactive they've been in editing the listing etc. But I'm wondering whether the 'related properties' feature is really neeeded? Whenever I've looked on Rightmove (which to be fair is the only site I use and others like daft.ie may be different) properties that are multi-agent virtually always appear consecutively on the list so it's really easy to see anyway. I guess it depends on the definition of "related" and how you see the feature being used.

Thanks, I'm quite proud of the graph styling esp for someone with little artistic temperament!

Related properties is experiemental (and hence open to future tweaks and changes) but I hope will turn into what is an often requested feature; being to track properties when they get relisted (often with the same agent)...

The naming "Related properties" is quite intensional, as its very difficult to identify listings for exactly the same property (esp when you consider multiple sites, multiple ways of describing properties; eg flats/apparments et al), so the toolbar doing a "best guess" for what it thinks are very similar is about as good as it can be at the moment.

rneeve wrote:4) Given my comments above I would say this is the time to think about resurrecting the idea of using tabs to compartmentalise the PB output as you alluded to in this old thread:

viewtopic.php?f=15&t=771&hilit=tabs&start=45

Just my 2p's worth

Richard

Yup I completely agree about using tabs...

Thanks for the feedback too much appreciated and hope you stick about to try out some of the next release candidates (with tabs :D)

Cheers
BH
Beerhunter
Site Admin

Postby Beerhunter on Mon Nov 28, 2011 11:27 pm

Just built Release Candidate 2, which can be installed from here

The only changes are cosmetic which is always going to be a controversial topic! Personally I think from the looks view, its pretty close and good to go.

Stuff that I think needs work (at a later date);
* price graph is fixed size (so either doesn't fill the area or goes over the right edge - depending on which site you are looking at)
* related properties is "functional", ie could be tidier esp when the link wraps
* a button on the history page to expand it to show all rows.

As I say, a controversial topic (and I'm expecting the scrolling history to be top of that list) so interested in hear other peoples views once they have used it.

Still vaguely thinking of releasing tomorrow evening/night - depending on feedback/what time I get home from work.
Beerhunter
Site Admin

Postby Beerhunter on Tue Nov 29, 2011 10:30 pm

Just writing a release note / guide to the new version, then got to do a final build and press a few buttons... should be done just after 11pm I think :D
Beerhunter
Site Admin

Next

Return to Development