An important announcement from the founder of property-bee.com: The future of Property Bee is assured.

Querying the PB database

An area to discuss the development and technical aspects of the toolbar

Querying the PB database

Postby mrsnow101 on Mon Apr 26, 2010 8:38 pm

Hi Beerhunter,

You mentioned in another post elsewhere that you have a mysql database on a remote server containing approx. 11gb of data.

Roughly how many modified (not new) property listings do you see each day? I was just wondering if it would be feesable to add functionality where you can view only modified listings from your own personal bee. I would imagine it would be a reletively straightforward bit of SQL - I guess the question would be where would it fit in ('My Bee'??) - or would it even fit in at all (ie does it go against the whole ethos of PB - ie browsing the listings yourself).

Absolute fantastic tool by the way.
mrsnow101

Re: Querying the PB database

Postby Beerhunter on Tue Apr 27, 2010 10:33 am

mrsnow101 wrote:Hi Beerhunter,

You mentioned in another post elsewhere that you have a mysql database on a remote server containing approx. 11gb of data.

That includes development/forum/website databases as well as encrypted live property info database (which is a marjority ;))

mrsnow101 wrote:Roughly how many modified (not new) property listings do you see each day?

Difficult to tell (or rather the query needed on the live database would lock people out for too long)

Tho can say averaging over the past month, modified property listings + new property listings is just approx 22,000/day.

mrsnow101 wrote:I was just wondering if it would be feesable to add functionality where you can view only modified listings from your own personal bee. I would imagine it would be a reletively straightforward bit of SQL - I guess the question would be where would it fit in ('My Bee'??) - or would it even fit in at all (ie does it go against the whole ethos of PB - ie browsing the listings yourself).

Nice to see ethos being mentioned, as its something I thought about for a very long time when coming up with the idea of PB!

Actually feature already exists, albeit in a slightly different form ;)

If you haven't discovered it yet, press the "sidebar" button on the toolbar - this will show your a list of every property you have viewed, and;

* give a summary of the property details
* highlights price drops in red and price rises in green
* give you a percentage price change (based on the first price recorded)
* give the time on market

Also if you click on a property within the sidebar it will take you to the webpage (ie its like a list of bookmarks of properties you have viewed)

However I suspect you maybe interested in the left most column, titled "Changed".

Very simply, if there's a man with a speech bubble next to the property, then someone else has discovered a change to the property listing which you haven't seen yet - and those are the properties you possibly want to look at ;)

mrsnow101 wrote:Absolute fantastic tool by the way.

Beerhunter
Site Admin

Return to Development