An important announcement from the founder of property-bee.com: The future of Property Bee is assured.

Roadmap

An area to discuss the development and technical aspects of the toolbar

Roadmap

Postby HueBlue on Tue May 18, 2010 2:45 pm

Hi,
I can see that there is a roadmap published for each release, but I wonder what scope there might be for putting in new features (rather than just bug fixes) if we are prepared to do them ourselves.

There are a couple of features that I would like to add, and which I could really use myself ASAP.

I have not looked at the code and how you have set up DB access, but I wonder if it is possible for me to run my own build locally with new features that interact with the local database differently. One of the features is the ability to have a further status, that moves properties to a new folder (not sure what to call it), but not to the deleted folder. The use case is that there are certain properties that I am not actively watching, but might potentially be of interest, rather than ones that will never be of interest (which get deleted). There are too many of them to keep in the active list, but when I want to check for changes on them, I have to go back into the deleted list, which is massive.

So, for changes that only affect the local database, will I be able to implement them in a local build and then offer them as potential new features for an official build?

Thanks.
HueBlue

Re: Roadmap

Postby Beerhunter on Thu Jun 10, 2010 12:00 am

HueBlue wrote:Hi,
I can see that there is a roadmap published for each release, but I wonder what scope there might be for putting in new features (rather than just bug fixes) if we are prepared to do them ourselves.

There are a couple of features that I would like to add, and which I could really use myself ASAP.

I have not looked at the code and how you have set up DB access, but I wonder if it is possible for me to run my own build locally with new features that interact with the local database differently. One of the features is the ability to have a further status, that moves properties to a new folder (not sure what to call it), but not to the deleted folder. The use case is that there are certain properties that I am not actively watching, but might potentially be of interest, rather than ones that will never be of interest (which get deleted). There are too many of them to keep in the active list, but when I want to check for changes on them, I have to go back into the deleted list, which is massive.

So, for changes that only affect the local database, will I be able to implement them in a local build and then offer them as potential new features for an official build?

Thanks.

Sorry thought I'd replied to this earlier :oops:

Yes, I'm interested in any help!

The best starting point is the "How to help develop the toolbar" which is pinned in this forum. That will give you access to the latest source code, a dev environment and access to dev database on property-bee.com so there's no chance of causing me or anyone else grief ;)

The idea of "tagging" properties is something that I would like to see, and have been thinking about on and off.

A warning, the code to generate the list of properties in the sidebar is a bit mad - dynamically creating the sql to show/order the properties, and its this thats really holding me back from adding new features in this area :-(

A new pair of eyes would certainly help, and hopefully some discussion will make it clearer to us what needs to be done and how.

If you want to have a go, I'll certainly help as much as I can!

Cheers
BH
Beerhunter
Site Admin

Return to Development