An important announcement from the founder of property-bee.com: The future of Property Bee is assured.

Introductions

An area to discuss the development and technical aspects of the toolbar

Introductions

Postby Beerhunter on Mon Oct 05, 2009 8:54 pm

Thought it maybe an idea to have an informal thread where developers can introduce themselves and what skills/experience they have etc

Name: Beerhunter

Favourite colour: Blue/Yellow (ie the colours of property bee!)

Skills:
Day job is mainly C++ / SQLServer / realtime stuff on Windows/Linux.
Outside work also can do php/xhtml/smarty/mysql/javascript/xpaths/web design plus lots more
Has 24 years commercial software experience
Has a tendency to over analyse things sometimes.... so give me a prod when I do :shock:

Interesting fact: Property bee started off as I new years resolution to take one of my many ideas and run with it for once!
Beerhunter
Site Admin

Re: Introductions

Postby s-p on Tue Oct 06, 2009 2:57 pm

Skills:
Day job = .NET / SQLServer
Outside = A brief skirting of the following technologies; html/css/php/mysql. However, it's been a good few years since I've created/modified any sites utilising these languages. I'm sure I'll be able to get my head around them fairly quickly again.
Scott
s-p

Postby Squidward on Tue Oct 06, 2009 5:45 pm

Age: 33 (that's almost exactly half way between you two)

Occupation: Software developer, I guess... been out of work for a while but the last thing I was paid for was a website using old-style ASP/VBScript and SQL Server.

Other: A bit of everything but my favourite / most used languages for hobby projects are C++ and Python. Lately been chipping away at an old sequencer for music that has a peculiar design, working out where to take it (very old version here, somewhat unrecognisable now). I'd like to write a game one day... (bites lip; stares into middle distance; crickets chirp).
Squidward

Postby rpp007 on Tue Oct 06, 2009 8:10 pm

Occupation: Java Developer/PM; currently working on an Oracle project

Main Skills: Rusty javascript, SVN, Oracle, *nix

Other bits: Have had loads of ideas (usually rubbish ones) and was looking for something interesting to do when I got home from work. Have been looking for a house for the past 18 months and have found property-bee really useful and want to give something back.
rpp007

Postby illumination on Tue Oct 06, 2009 9:09 pm

Skills:
Day job I work doing .Net/ SQL Server (GUI and Server dev) XML, XPath, RegEx etc
At home I do whatever takes my fancy at the current time. I've done php/ html /css, C++, Assembley, Java, pretty much anything really.

Married with a 1 year old, so I don't have tons of time, but keen to help out where I can
illumination

Postby Beerhunter on Wed Oct 07, 2009 10:17 pm

Hi s-p, Squidward, rpp007 and illumination.

Firstly many many thanks and welcome!

I hope you guys are up for a challenge ;) I know the code has "evolved" in places, so may not be the best practices all the time! If your unsure of a bit of code or why it was done that way just ask... and if you have a better idea on how to do stuff, I'm open to ideas... esp if it makes it more robust or easier to maintain!

Just as a bit of fun, created a skills matrix (just based on initial posts.... I missed tonnes off mine, and I'm sure you did too)

technologies.png
technologies.png (7.19 KiB) Viewed 13680 times

Some serious skills here... tho really surprised on the MySQL v SQLServer front.... guess your all in "MS partner" places like me!

Cheers
BH
Beerhunter
Site Admin

Postby GalwayMagpie on Wed Oct 14, 2009 12:20 pm

Hi Guys,

Long time user of the Property Bee.

Was just reading the Property Bee forum and i'd like to offer my services.
I'm having a look through the posts and I'll see where i can help or if you have a task for me let me know.

I have skills in Java, JavaScript, some php and MySQL.

Working in Software Test/Validation at the moment.

GalwayMagpie
GalwayMagpie

Postby Beerhunter on Wed Oct 14, 2009 11:20 pm

Hi GalwayMagpie,

At the moment, I think development wise we may just about have bug fixing in hand (*) - but if you fancy setting up a dev environment and help test the code thats in subversion, that would be extremely useful.

How to help develop the toolbar gives a step by step guide on setting everything up, and there's various posts titled 'Bug #xyz' in the forum to report any issues.

Also if you have any patches to the code, either post them to the relevent thread, or let me know and we'll sort out subversion access.

Cheers
BH

(*) I'm guessing from the username you're in Ireland? I have the daft fixes in hand - I think, and illumination is starting to look at propertynews.
Beerhunter
Site Admin

Postby tlrrd on Wed Nov 16, 2011 10:40 am

Well, I've been thinking about writing something here for a while.

job: c++, linux, perl, SQL (sybase, ugh)

I've been playing with propertybee for a while, and am interested in adding detection of the same property on multiple sites (using images hashes to detect the same photos? http://www.hackerfactor.com/blog/index. ... ke-It.html )I think it will require a plugin using c++, as I can't see a way to do it using javascript. Currently doing it using phash outside of firefox, but don't really like the hamming distance vagueness.

Other things I things that would be useful (aka pipedreams, perhaps):
1) Move the sidebar to an external window. Add support for filtering.
2) I'd also like to start adding a way for users in input extra detail. Like the street number, and the sq footage. And link multi agent listings together.
3) To drive users to this site, add a link to "see forum posts about this property" or something.
4) We could then use this to start tracking estate agent performance using LR data. (30% sold within 6 monts of coming to market, achieving 95% of initial asking price). Maybe we could stop the systematic overvaluation of property that way!
5) I'd like the option to automatically archive a page using Mozilla archive format plugin.

I doubt I'll ever have time to finish any of this, as free time is rare, but wanted to see if there is any interest, and if these might be features beerhunter and the team would interested in?

Cheers,

tlrrd
tlrrd

Postby Beerhunter on Thu Nov 17, 2011 8:33 pm

Welcome tlrrd

tlrrd wrote:Well, I've been thinking about writing something here for a while.

job: c++, linux, perl, SQL (sybase, ugh)

I've been playing with propertybee for a while, and am interested in adding detection of the same property on multiple sites (using images hashes to detect the same photos? http://www.hackerfactor.com/blog/index. ... ke-It.html )I think it will require a plugin using c++, as I can't see a way to do it using javascript. Currently doing it using phash outside of firefox, but don't really like the hamming distance vagueness.

Interestingly I've just commited a change in the last week that does some of this, including generating a sha256 hash on the image data to identify identical images (with different filenames). Its early stages yet, but there is now (some simple) code to find "related" listings based on matching image and textual fields, and give a confidence level (0-100%, anything over 50% gets shown as a link to the property...

Other things I things that would be useful (aka pipedreams, perhaps):
1) Move the sidebar to an external window. Add support for filtering.
2) I'd also like to start adding a way for users in input extra detail. Like the street number, and the sq footage. And link multi agent listings together.
3) To drive users to this site, add a link to "see forum posts about this property" or something.
4) We could then use this to start tracking estate agent performance using LR data. (30% sold within 6 monts of coming to market, achieving 95% of initial asking price). Maybe we could stop the systematic overvaluation of property that way!
5) I'd like the option to automatically archive a page using Mozilla archive format plugin.

There's a lot there I'm planning to do.. the only new one to me is 5) - not heard of that before.

I doubt I'll ever have time to finish any of this, as free time is rare, but wanted to see if there is any interest, and if these might be features beerhunter and the team would interested in?

Cheers,

tlrrd

Free time, whats that ;)

The image hashing does seem interesting (and yes I agree it would need to be c++), tho not sure how effective it would be as lots of properties look fairly similar from the outside. I'd be very interested to see the results of taking a selection of images from rightmove (internal and external)...
Beerhunter
Site Admin

Return to Development