An important announcement from the founder of property-bee.com: The future of Property Bee is assured.

2.0.6.0 Roadmap

An area to discuss the development and technical aspects of the toolbar

Re: 2.0.6.0 Roadmap

Postby speakers on Sun Oct 25, 2009 11:22 am

It's nice to finally get 'Title' information in my sidebar which has been missing for a long time.

I also had some properties which even though removed from Rightmove were still showing in my sidebar as available, these now are removed when I use 'Properties for sale', at long last.

The only annoyance I still have with Rightmove is when some properties are sold the listing in the history box changes from:

'premier listing' to 'premier listing, sold stc' or
'new home' to 'new home, sold stc'

The sidebar then doesn't recognise them as sold and they still appear in properties for sale.
speakers
Beta Tester

Postby s-p on Sun Oct 25, 2009 11:28 am

Hi Speakers - Do you have example links to sold properties that are not being handled by Propery Bee correctly?
Scott
s-p

Postby speakers on Sun Oct 25, 2009 11:35 am

[url]http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for ... er=OUTCODE^1853&sortByPriceDescending=false&minBedrooms=3&maxPrice=150000&radius=40.0&secondaryDisplayPropertyType=detachedshouses&oldSecondaryDisplayPropertyType=detachedshouses&pageNumber=12&backToListURL=%2Fproperty-for-sale%2Ffind.html%3FlocationIdentifier%3DOUTCODE%255E1853%26sortByPriceDescending%3Dfalse%26minBedrooms%3D3%26maxPrice%3D150000%26radius%3D40.0%26secondaryDisplayPropertyType%3Ddetachedshouses%26oldSecondaryDisplayPropertyType%3Ddetachedshouses%26index%3D110[/url]

Should the properties I mentioned above be recognised as Sold?
speakers
Beta Tester

Postby s-p on Sun Oct 25, 2009 11:48 am

speakers wrote:[url]http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for ... er=OUTCODE^1853&sortByPriceDescending=false&minBedrooms=3&maxPrice=150000&radius=40.0&secondaryDisplayPropertyType=detachedshouses&oldSecondaryDisplayPropertyType=detachedshouses&pageNumber=12&backToListURL=%2Fproperty-for-sale%2Ffind.html%3FlocationIdentifier%3DOUTCODE%255E1853%26sortByPriceDescending%3Dfalse%26minBedrooms%3D3%26maxPrice%3D150000%26radius%3D40.0%26secondaryDisplayPropertyType%3Ddetachedshouses%26oldSecondaryDisplayPropertyType%3Ddetachedshouses%26index%3D110[/url]

Should the properties I mentioned above be recognised as Sold?

This property should be listed in the "Sold Properties" section as opposed to the "Properties for Sale" listings. Having viewed this property for the first time, the property has been correctly inserted into the "Sold Properties" section and is therefore operating as anticipated for myself. It would however appear that the transition from For Sale --> Sold is not being reflected in the sidebar section, even if the status is being updated.

It's a certainly a hard one to replicate, but I'll do some investigation.
Scott
s-p

Postby speakers on Sun Oct 25, 2009 11:53 am

Ah, my mistake, they are now being recognised as sold properties.
speakers
Beta Tester

Postby s-p on Sun Oct 25, 2009 12:02 pm

speakers wrote:Ah, my mistake, they are now being recognised as sold properties.

No mistake, you've found an issue!

How to replicate:
1. Open Property Bee Sidebar.
2. Set filter to anything but "All Properties" (i.e. "Properties to rent")
3. Search through any properties for sale.

You will find that any new properties not previously in the sidebar, will appear to be added to the "Properties to rent" section. What's happening, is that any new entries are simply added to the sidebar regardless of the filter in place. However, it's only a temporary issue. Changing the filter or closing the browser and re-opening will rectify the issue and place the property into the correct section.

What should happen, is that any new entries found should only be displayed in the sidebar immediately if it satisfies the filter currently in place.
Scott
s-p

Postby speakers on Sun Oct 25, 2009 12:08 pm

Yes, I see what you mean.
speakers
Beta Tester

Postby Beerhunter on Sun Oct 25, 2009 12:12 pm

speakers wrote:Ah, my mistake, they are now being recognised as sold properties.

Ok, I'm guessing that its because sidebar doesn't refresh the list everytime (ie it updates the data displayed, but doesn't move the property from "Propertys for Sale" to "Sold properties" list in this case)

If it did;

* pb would be too slow - think the delay when you open/sort the sidebar every time you few a property :o

* if you clicked on a property in the "Properties for sale" list and that property was found to be sold, having that row suddenly disaapear would (I feel) be confusing

So as a compromise, which rows are display in the sidebar are only updated when the sort order or dropdown are changed.

-- Edit to add --

New properties not viewed before get appended to the current sidebar view for the same reason, tho will get moved to the correct list if the sort/dropdown is changed.

The problem in the code is that does the filtering to decide which properties to show in the sidebar and the sort order is done by the same bit of code (PB_Service.getPropertySortOrder) so its currently impossible to filter newly added properties to the correct list without doing a sort - which takes time (esp if you have a few thousand properties!)
Beerhunter
Site Admin

Postby speakers on Sun Oct 25, 2009 12:19 pm

What should happen, is that any new entries found should only be displayed in the sidebar immediately if it satisfies the filter currently in place.

So the filter in place makes no difference, the property will be displayed regardless.
speakers
Beta Tester

Postby s-p on Sun Oct 25, 2009 12:28 pm

speakers wrote:

So the filter in place makes no difference, the property will be displayed regardless.

From my limited testing and BH's explanation above, that does indeed appear to be the case. Only events that trigger the refresh of whole listing (i.e. change of filter/closing re-opening sidebar) would move the property into it's correct location.
Scott
s-p

Postby Beerhunter on Sun Oct 25, 2009 12:43 pm

s-p wrote:From my limited testing and BH's explanation above, that does indeed appear to be the case. Only events that trigger the refresh of whole listing (i.e. change of filter/closing re-opening sidebar) would move the property into it's correct location.

Thats correct and I've raised Bug #155
Beerhunter
Site Admin

Postby Beerhunter on Sun Oct 25, 2009 1:08 pm

Just raised bug #156 also to do with the sidebar: Running toolbar with 2 open sidebars (in different windows) can lead to question marks being display in one sidebar.
Beerhunter
Site Admin

Postby rpp007 on Sun Oct 25, 2009 2:18 pm

I've done some testing on primelocation.com and there a couple of things I've seen:

• I saw that certain fields - price, subtitle - seemed not to be picked up from the search results. I couldn't reproduce it, but if you see the results posted from my account you'll see the price/subtitle is picked up later, which was after I selected the property. Example here http://primelocation.com/uk-property-fo ... PAB4914927
  • The detailed description sometimes picks up the same as the brief description
  • I saw an error 500 pop up when browsing this property http://primelocation.com/uk-property-fo ... EIE4865140. Probably unrelated to the property though.

I think the 500 error should be checked out and if anyone else sees the price/subtitle missing from search results that isn't good. The detailed description isn't a major concern.

Will carry on testing.
rpp007

Postby s-p on Sun Oct 25, 2009 3:11 pm

I've got a macro up and running at the moment to see if I can replicate your results rpp007. Sadly, the Prime Location site isn't the fastest responding website with it's overloaded graphics+maps, so it's taking some time to run. :(
Scott
s-p

Postby Beerhunter on Sun Oct 25, 2009 3:16 pm

rpp007 wrote:I've done some testing on primelocation.com and there a couple of things I've seen:

• I saw that certain fields - price, subtitle - seemed not to be picked up from the search results. I couldn't reproduce it, but if you see the results posted from my account you'll see the price/subtitle is picked up later, which was after I selected the property. Example here http://primelocation.com/uk-property-fo ... PAB4914927

As aways, looks ok when I view it.

Just wondering if its something to do with the embeded iframe on the site causing pb to trigger too early and parse the incomplete page?

Any other info would be useful, as trying to debug at the backend is a nightmare (as all the data is encrypted it's a mass of random strings!)

• The detailed description sometimes picks up the same as the brief description

• Have you an example url?
  • I saw an error 500 pop up when browsing this property http://primelocation.com/uk-property-fo ... EIE4865140. Probably unrelated to the property though.

• I think the 500 error should be checked out and if anyone else sees the price/subtitle missing from search results that isn't good. The detailed description isn't a major concern.

Will carry on testing.

Looking the logs the Error 500 was due to the script being unable to connect to the db (twice at 11:35, once at 12:36) and you'll not believe it but its the first time this has happened since May '09 :o Not 100% sure why, however maybe of me running sql on the server and backing up connections to the max limit, I'll keep an eye on it and not run any querys ;)
    Beerhunter
    Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Development