An important announcement from the founder of property-bee.com: The future of Property Bee is assured.

Bug #146: Update propertynews rules

An area to discuss the development and technical aspects of the toolbar

Bug #146: Update propertynews rules

Postby illumination on Sat Oct 17, 2009 7:22 pm

This seems to be going ok, however I have found something weird on propertynews that I haven't seen before.

The price on some properties seems to be garbage. For example, go here http://www.propertynews.com/results.php?s=78169736&p=1 and scroll down, you'll see the prices on the properties are
EUR 128,000
EUR 113,750
EUR 68,500
POA
EUR 1,150
EUR 1,000
EUR 550 etc

Now I know Ireland has had it hard in the recession, but 550 Euroes for a 4 bedroom semi-detached? :shock:

Not living in Ireland, thus never using these sites, I don't know if this is normal or not.

Comments?
illumination

Re: Bug #146: Update propertynews rules

Postby s-p on Sat Oct 17, 2009 7:33 pm

I don't think there's an awful lot you can do in this instance.

All you're doing with Property Bee, is recording the data that's presented to the end user whilst they navigate the site. Whilst you can accommodate for variances in formatting, data discrepancies like this are something you just have to accept.
Scott
s-p

Postby Beerhunter on Sat Oct 17, 2009 8:13 pm

Yup I agree with s-p, unfortunately theres nothing pb can do other than log it

Doing a bit of detective work; seems to be 1 particular EA on the the link you gave, infact their other offices in Kimmage and Naas are correctly listing prices, so can only assume who ever typed the prices in their Tallaght office is lazy and listing prices in k's ;)
Beerhunter
Site Admin

Postby illumination on Sat Oct 17, 2009 10:49 pm

yeah, had a similar feeling in terms of not being able to do anything about it.

What I was thinking though was that perhaps it was some perculiarity with the market in Ireland. I saw this show that explained how things work in Scotland with the 'offers over' method (I still don't get it. If you want a certain amount, ask for it, don't tell me to give a guess above a guide price) and I thought that maybe this was just an extreme form of that. (I must admit that I didn't actually do too much detective work before posting :oops: )
illumination

Postby illumination on Wed Oct 21, 2009 8:54 pm

Ok, so I've more or less finished this and have committed my changes.

I just need to finish my testing and I have one other thing I was thinking about, but unfortunately the website is down at the moment, so I will post about it as soon as it is up again.
illumination

Postby illumination on Wed Oct 21, 2009 9:54 pm

Right, so, if you go here

http://www.propertynews.com/brochure.ph ... 1&sort=h2l

you will see that on the right hand side, just under the box with the pictures and the location, there is a box with the agents address and details. Currently we're not collecting those. The only issue is that the address is stored in a UL, with each line as a LI.

So the question is, bearing in mind that I haven't looked on too many pages, there could possibly be a page where there are less lines, thus less list items, or more lines and more list items, how does everyone feel about me looping over the list items and building up a single string similar to the other addresses? so in this case '1 High Street, The Square, Balbriggan, Co. Dublin'
illumination

Postby Beerhunter on Thu Oct 22, 2009 12:01 am

cool :)

Will try it out tomorrow.

There is a functor that concatenates items with commas, cant remember its name as on train, think is PB_FindAllNodes or something. Will post tom when home and more sobber!
Beerhunter
Site Admin

Postby Beerhunter on Thu Oct 22, 2009 1:09 pm

Had a quick test (going through all the supported pages, and checking data is collected / that theres no change logged when swapping between viewing a property details/in a search list)

Looks good, and couldn't find any problems :D

Tho noticed (and I didn't support this first time round and no one has asked for it, so mentioning it only for completeness) that propertynews do the same as daft.ie and have a page for a group of development properties (new homes & overseas), like http://www.propertynews.com/development ... p=1206&r=& . These can be awkward to support and of limited use I feel, so I'm suggesting not supporting these pages!

Re Agents address, I'm not sure how important it is, only real uses are possibly
* seeing if properties have been moved between EA offices
* being able to find all properties belonging to a particular EA office

Neither of which is available via the toolbar (tho could do this with a bit of sql on property-bee.sqlite or exporting the data into a spreadsheet - for those that are keen!)

If you want to add in the agents address, I'd use PB_AllNodesMatchingXPath() to iterate over the <li> elements which will concatenate them into 1 string with each element separated by a comma - so doesn't matter how many lines there are. Also I think the defaultValue should be '' which would mean that if not found, it will ignore the address/change.

Cheers
BH
Beerhunter
Site Admin

Postby s-p on Fri Oct 23, 2009 8:42 pm

Scott
s-p

Postby Beerhunter on Fri Oct 23, 2009 9:30 pm

[This is a general view about any website, not just propertynews.com]

My feeling at this stage is; if 2.0.5.1 didn't support the url (and users didn't complain about it) then its ok for 2.0.6.0 not to support them.

At the moment I think we need to push for a release. Supporting a subset of pages correctly (for any site) is probably better than delaying a release and trying to support all possible page combinations. Plus users will give feedback on which pages they use and of course we could add any missing ones at a later date (if there is the demand / will to add them).

Cheers
BH
Beerhunter
Site Admin

Postby s-p on Fri Oct 23, 2009 9:38 pm

Ok, point taken. :)
Scott
s-p

Postby illumination on Mon Oct 26, 2009 6:43 pm

however thanks for pointing that out, I must admit that I didn't see them. I'll look into resolving that when the release is done.

And sorry for my scarcity the last week or so, work has been a little hectic.
illumination

Postby Beerhunter on Tue Oct 27, 2009 10:02 pm

illumination wrote:however thanks for pointing that out, I must admit that I didn't see them. I'll look into resolving that when the release is done.

I agree.

illumination wrote:And sorry for my scarcity the last week or so, work has been a little hectic.

It's not a problem.
Beerhunter
Site Admin

Return to Development